Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk


There's one product from Dr. Hauschka that I've been staying loyal to throughout the years. I'm talking about their cleansing milk. The reason why I choose this particular product is thanks to my sensitive skin, because if I had the choice I would've picked a foaming cleanser over a creamy texture. I tell you there's nothing more than a rich lather that feels super nice on your skin. Or at least I like that feeling. (o ・`∀・´)ノ

When I first got interested in organic skincare the most natural thing for me to do was to go for a brand that is well-known so I ended up with Dr. Hauschka. I literally spent a few hours trying to figure out which might be the best products for me and which might not. My usual way of approaching a new brand is starting with some very basic items such as cleanser, toner and a moisturizer.


There are two cleansers available and the one that I picked up is actually more directed towards removing makeup, dirt and other impurities. To achieve the best results you should follow with the cleansing cream which I personally don't do because I didn't want to spend a fortune. (ー_ー ) Besides, their method seemed to a bit weird for a newbie like me so I skipped this part altogether. Of course, I did pick up the cleansing cream later on only to find out that it's such a hassle for me to use. I will do a seperate post on that later on.

The US website claims:

For all skin conditions, especially beneficial to sensitive skin

Ideal for removing makeup, this gentle cleanser features fermented grain extract to remove dirt and impurities. Jojoba and sweet almond oils maintain the natural moisture balance, keeping dry, mature and sensitive skin soft and supple.
  • Fermented grain extract removes dirt and impurities
  • Bentonite clay soothes and cools irritation
  • Anthyllis extract tones and balances
  • Extra-mild daily cleanser for extremely sensitive skin conditions and an excellent shaving cream for men
  • Used as directed, Cleaning Milk lasts approximately 1 - 2 months

It comes in a huge glass bottle (here is my little off-topic story) containing 145 ml or 4,9 fl oz and looks like this:


It's a white creamy and milky texture that feels nice on your skin and spreads really well. It doesn't cause itchiness for me and overall I would classify this as a very mild cleanser. As long as you don't get any product into your eyes. I don't understand why it's stated as an eye makeup remover as well when it stings in your eyes!! ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ I won't recommend to use this to remove mascara or eyeshadow unless you want to end up having irritated eyes that are super red, too. (┳Д┳)

Now moving onto the ingredients list.

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Alcohol, Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Glycerin, Fermented Grain Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bentonite, Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene*, Geraniol*, Linalool*, Citronellol*.
*Component of natural essential oils


To be very honest, I never actually paid attention to what's inside this cleansing milk which I had been using for uhm... the last 3-4 years so I was very shocked to learn that it contains soooooo much alcohol. It comes right after aqua.... And let me tell you, this item isn't cheap, either! I kind of expected better ingredients. One bottle with 145 ml costs 19 EUR and you have to get used to the scent. lol The herbal scent isn't very strong but when you're new to organic skincare this is definitely something you have to keep in mind, that most products typically don't smell as nicely as your usual stuff. (*/////∇/////*)

The next I want to talk about is its cleansing ability. As I've already mentioned there is a second follow-up product which helps to deep clean your face so I never expected to achieve the same results with just the cleansing milk. In the past I didn't have the same problems like I do now (e.g. blackheads!!!), it was more on the drier side and super sensitive so there was no need to double cleanse my face since I didn't want to strip even more moisture of my skin! Since I now have to deal with clogged pores and pimples I was wondering if it was enough to use the cleaning milk alone so I did a little test to learn about the cleansing ability of this product.



I used 1x pump, spread it on my hand - I'd usually do the same with my face - and rubbed a bit, trying to remove the black eyeliner. As you can see, it wasn't able to remove all traces of the eyeliner... I had to rub quite hard so that everything came off which ended up in this:


My hand was red!! (〇Д◎ノ)

Now I don't want to imagine to use the same force on my face to remove all dirt and makeup.

Believe me I tried my best to make this product work, I even used another pump of product regardless of the costs but nope, the eyeliner didn't budge. The eyeliner wasn't even waterproof! It is from Alverde that actually comes off very easily!

That's when I finally began to question myself if the Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk really is the ideal cleanser for me..... It has been my favorite for such a long time but I think it's about time to part with it now.

Here I'm not saying that it is a bad product at all as my skin had been flawless for the longest time it's just that my skin condition has changed so I need to adjust to it. (;☆ω☆) In the meantime I'm looking for a new cleanser that cleans well, yet without being to harsh for me...

5 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

The second ingredient is alcohol - my skin would unfortunatley go bananas! Thanks for the review!

liv said...

Thanks for the suuuuper long review! I also use this cleansing milk and of course i know what it does and doesn't do. Yet it's sometimes good to realize through some other person's review that i also should really try something else ;)

I ve also not been super happy with this cleansing milk. I do find it veeeery gentle, also to my eyes. And i do remove my eye make up with it. (I put a bit warm water on a cottonpad and a one or two drops of milk.)
You can also try one of those little yellow/orange sponges from Hauschka. Combined with the cleansing milk they do a great job cleansning BUT they also do take of the extra layer of moistrizer the milk leaves behind.
The best cleansing results i do get with first using the milk and then the cream (but i also find that way to expensive and time wasting.)

At my boyfriends house I use the salvia cleansing milk from Martina Gebartdt. And that one is sooooooo lovely. You can massage it in for ages since the texture is a bit different, it is gentle yet also reduced pimples and stuff. Although I also had to get used to the MG one (some weekends i love it, and sometimes i prefer the cleansing cream from hauschka over both milks).

Right now i am waiting for a pakage from Wolkenseife. I ve ordered saltsoap which is supposed to be super gentle yet fights impurities. I ll test that one as soon as possible.

To make a long story short: try the MG (maybe the rose if your skin is tooooo dry, or the salvia (salbei)) and maybe try a saltsoap.

Good luck on findig a better product :(
LG liv

cream puff said...

@Jamilla: Does alcohol break you out or do you find that it's merely drying?

@Liv: Echt? Bei dir brennt es nicht in den Augen?? Hast du es gut!! Letztens hatte ich einen Schwamm verwendet und wurde hinterher mit Pickel bestraft. T___T;; Aber es waren welche von Rossmann und nicht Dr. Hauschka, macht es so einen grossen Unterschied aus? Na ja, die Waschcreme habe ich jetzt auch noch daheim aber verwende die nicht mehr weil zu faul. haha. Habe mir jetzt eine Reinigungsmilch von MG gegönnt, aber noch nicht probiert. ^O^;;

liv said...

also ob das mit dem schwamm was ausmacht weiss ich nicht, kann s mir aber kaum vorstellen. welches mg produkt hast du dir gegoennt? ich bin gespannt was du davon findest! lg liv

LiLy said...

Hey honey! Ta for your comment! Funny that you like のだめカンタービレ!.... Me either! ;) And that range was popular in Nz too! Not really much in Japan tho! Stay in touch☆

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...